It’s almost November and that means the holidays are close. One of my favorite aspects of the holiday seasons are extended periods of quiet… like days long. While there will be Destiny 2 and Mario Odyssey during these times, my goal is to fill those long silences with reading. Here are ten books you should read during the holiday:
- Barbarian Days. A Surfing Life My favorite read of the last decade. Yes, it’s a surf book, but I suspect that non-surfers will consume this book. Also, William Finnegan’s sentence structures are… a joy.
- Batman/The Flash: The Button A comic. I watch the Watchmen slowly invade the DC universe.. hesitantly.
- The Great Bridge: The Epic Story of the Building of the Brooklyn Bridge I’ve already waxed poetic about this book, but if you want understand the mindset of engineers – read this.
- The Path Between Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal If you already read the Brooklyn Bridge book, how about reading how to make a canal? In the jungle? Across as isthmus? When you don’t understand that mosquitoes carry malaria around?
- Seveneves Big book, large concept, no spoilers. Highly recommend.
- Hawkeye Omnibus A day in the life of Hawkeye. Not a lot of super powers, just a lot of humans.
- Becoming Steve Jobs: The Evolution of a Reckless Upstart into a Visionary Leader The remains my favorite Steve Jobs book.
- Locke and Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft The entire series is worth it, but give the first volume and whirl and see if you able to not buy the next.
- Cool Tools: A Catalog of Possibilities You’re welcome.
- The Wild Trees: A Story of Passion and Daring Read the trees in my backyard.
What’d I miss? Tell me so I can add it to the wishlist.