If you’ve never been here before, DON’T SKIP THIS is a handy introduction to this place. There are over 20 years of content hiding around here, and some of it remains relevant.
I’ve been writing here since April 2002. I write a couple of pieces a month. There’s been a podcast since 2017.
Related Randsables. If you’re interested in my speaking, the Speaking page is a good place to start, but you can always just drop me an email. I’d prefer it if you join the Leadership Slack and DM me there. I’ve written books. You should read them.
Opinions. The opinions expressed on this website are entirely my own. I never speak for my employer, my friends, my dog, or you. In many of my articles, I often refer to specific people as a means of telling the story… making a point. These people do not exist – I am not writing about you – they are fabrications that are specifically constructed to make a point. There are traits, quirks, or situations involving co-workers and friends that I borrow to construct the personas in my stories, but these small slices of personality do not a person make.
Removed Articles. This blog has existed for almost twenty years, and during that time, I’ve permanently removed some older articles. Two reasons:
- The article did not age well, and/or it no longer reflected my opinions on a particular topic.
- More importantly, the article was offensive. Early in the history of this weblog, I believed being provocative and outrageous was the way to get attention. I was wrong. I am deeply ashamed of this early work, and I apologize for the publication. I hope my work since then demonstrates my values and how I continue to learn as a leader.
Comments. My comment policy is simple:
Post whatever you like. I won’t edit content or attribution of any comment. However, I’ll delete whatever comment I like.
I don’t delete comments willy-nilly. If something is deleted, it’s off-topic, adds no value, and/or involves a personal attack. Your first comment on this place will need to be approved by me. Your second one won’t.
Design & Technology:
- Site design by Alex King.
- Webfonts served by H&Co.
- This is a WordPress joint.
- I run this place on WP Engine, and I’m incredibly happy with the service. It just works.
- I sell a variety of charity merch that goes to a worthy cause. Depending on time of year, I’m likely matching (or doubling) all profits from these sales.
- There’s the Leadership Slack channel where all things leadership are discussed. If you’re interested in joining, please go here and follow the directions.
- I’m on all the socials: Mastodon, Twitter, Threads, and BlueSky.
- Instagram remains a great visual journal of where I am. Yes, I know my wife is superior on Instagram.
- I’ve been giving podcasting a whirl along with Lyle for a bit. Here’s the feed for The Important Thing.
- There’s the full RSS feed. Yay.
Finally, there are a couple of newsletters. The first is a leadership newletter. New content is posted here but also links to things that you might find of interest. Type your mail and bonk subscribe if you’re interested:
The second newsletter is an in-flight writing project where I am posting writing prompts every Monday. Read more about it here and sign-up here: